Saturday, June 11, 2016

6 weeks with a baby: some things I've learnt



Adam and I have made it through the critical first six weeks alive!  I'm not gonna lie, these past few weeks have been a real roller coaster of emotions. One major thing I've learnt is that babies (at least my baby) have a mind of their own and they don't really care what you think/want/don't want. And the best way to keep your sanity is to just accept this fact and not try to push your own ideas onto your baby, it won't work anyway.


Another important thing I've learnt - babies cry. (duh) The thing is, sometimes they need to cry and it doesn't necessarily mean there is something wrong with them. Maybe they are just overwhelmed at the end of the day and need to unwind with a good cry. It took me a while to realise this and I may or may not have cried a few times myself, trying to figure out what was wrong with my baby. Sometimes they cry a lot, sometimes not at all. Not everyday is the same. That means not everyday is amazing, but it also means not everyday is awful. This can be difficult to keep in mind, especially if you're in the middle of an awful day. It will get better. (And then worse again.)





On a more practical note - it really is a good idea to bring an extra outfit for your baby when you're out and about. I thought people were overly dramatic about this, but I learnt the hard way. I don't want to TMI you, so let's just say there was a major poop explosion down the baby's back. And leg. He didn't seem to mind, though. Also, boys have willies and if you're not careful, they will pee on you.

But most importantly, I've learnt that I have so much more to learn. I have to learn some new lullabies, because I only know two and I'm pretty sure he's starting to get bored. I need to learn how to put him down to his crib without accidentally waking him up. I need to learn to put my hair away from his little hands so he can't pull it. And much much more.




No comments:

Post a Comment